Yes. Children (we call them Unaccompanied Minors) of certain ages can travel alone on domestic (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) nonstop flights. We’ll make sure your young flier is taken care of onboard and offered a snack and drink. View our current Unaccompanied Minor charge here.
IMPORTANT: Unaccompanied Minors are not allowed to travel on international flights.
MINORS TRAVELING DOMESTICALLY
(Includes Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands)
|Age of Minor||Unaccompanied Minors|
|4 Years and Younger||Children 4 years old and younger may not travel alone. Another guest at least 15 years of age must accompany them.|
|5-14 Years||Children 5-14 years old must travel as an Unaccompanied Minor when not traveling with an adult at least 15 years old. Unaccompanied Minors are accepted only on nonstop or direct flights which do not require a change of aircraft or flight number.|
|15 Years and Older||Guests 15 years old and older are not required to have Unaccompanied Minor service, but they may be asked to present a picture ID or birth certificate to verify their age. The Unaccompanied Minor service charge will be collected if guests 15 and older if the service is requested.|
The following are guidelines that must be followed when a child is flying as an Unaccompanied Minor:
- When making a reservation, please advise us that the booking is for an Unaccompanied Minor.
- Please check in at the gate at least 60 minutes prior to departure.
- At check-in, an Unaccompanied Minor form must be completed at the airport by someone with photo identification before we can accept the child for travel. This form will be inserted into the lanyard we provide that the Unaccompanied Minor must wear throughout the entire flight, and is needed for Spirit Airlines employees to identify Unaccompanied Minors.
- The person dropping off the child at the airport should request a gate pass at the reservation counter, escort the child to the gate, and remain in the gate area with the Unaccompanied Minor until after the flight takes off. Gate passes will only be issued to non-traveling individuals who present a Government issued photo ID.
- The person dropping off the child must remain at the airport for 15 minutes after the flight takes off.
- The child will be pre-boarded and identified to the Flight Attendant as an Unaccompanied Minor. Unaccompanied Minors arriving too late to be pre-boarded will be boarded last to ensure the introduction to the Flight Attendant.
- When the flight arrives at its final destination, the child will be escorted off the aircraft by a Flight Attendant and released to the person designated on the Unaccompanied Minor form, or to another designated Spirit employee.
- In some cases, there may be a wait time in receiving the child if our personnel must assist in the departure of another aircraft. If this occurs, we appreciate your patience and cooperation in ensuring the safety of your child.