We’re sorry to hear that your checked bag was mishandled and the inconveniences that were caused during your trip. We’d like to make every effort to earn your future business. Creating an incident report at the airport of arrival is the first step of the claims process.
- Spirit is not liable for damage caused by the following:
- An existing defect with the bag.
- Oversized, overweight, or over-packed luggage.
- Normal wear and tear during transport (e.g., minor cuts, scratches, scuffs, dents, and soiling that do not impact functionality).
- Unsuitable or inadequate packing that is not able to withstand ordinary handling.
- If your items were damaged because of The Transportation Security Administration’s (TSA) security screening requirements, please file a written claim with them. You can also call the TSA Contact Center at 1 866 289 9673.
Please note: For more information about limits of liability, please visit: www.spirit.com/COC.
To initiate the claims process:
1. Create an incident report at the airport of arrival within 4 hours for domestic travel, 7 days for international damage reports, and 21 days for international loss, delayed, and pilferage reports.
Some domestic airport locations offer a self-serve, virtual Baggage Service Office, an option that is available from a mobile device. If you experience issues, select the “Need Help” option.
Please note: If a report is not made within the timeframes stipulated above, claims will be denied.
2. Once the incident report is created, you will receive a Baggage Irregularity Receipt by email, with details about the claims process and a File ID.
Please note: Incident reports (File IDs) are not claims but rather a record of your mishandled baggage event. Once your incident report is created, you will need to continue the process by filing a claim.
3. Review and complete the online claim form, as instructed below.
Please note: All claim forms, with required documents, must be submitted within 30 days of arrival
Directions for submitting a mishandled baggage claim:
1. Visit our Baggage Service web portal at www.spirit.com/bagclaim.
2. Enter your last name and File ID.
3. Click on “Create Online Claim.”
4. Follow the instructions shown and enter your information in the required fields.
5. Provide all supporting documents (e.g., proof of purchase for claimed items, Government photo identification, such as driver’s license or passport.
6. Click the “Submit” button.
NOTE: If all required documents are submitted, most claims will be processed within 30 days.
- Questions: If you have any questions on how to submit your claim or the claims process, contact Central Baggage via the Baggage Service web portal at www.spirit.com/bagclaim. Click the “Communicate With Us” option. You will be asked to enter your last name and File ID.
Please note: If you do not have a File ID, follow the steps in the “To initiate the claims process” section above.
- Limits of liability: For more information on limits of liability, visit: www.spirit.com/COC.
- For information on delayed bags within 5 days of travel, please contact the local Baggage Service Office (international and Caribbean travel) or Central Baggage (domestic travel), as applicable. After 5 days of travel, please complete and submit the online claim form. You will be asked for your last name and File ID.
- For damaged bags, a verifiable estimate of repair/cleaning from a local luggage repair shop should be submitted with the claim. Should the repair shop indicate, in writing, that the luggage cannot be repaired, please submit documented proof of purchase for the non-repairable item valued at $50 USD or more. (Subject to depreciation.)
Please note: Spirit is not liable for damage caused by an existing defect with the bag; oversized, overweight, or over-packed luggage; normal wear and tear during transport (e.g., minor cuts, scratches, scuffs, dents, and soling that do not impact functionality); or unsuitable or inadequate packing that is not able to withstand ordinary handling.